My Limited Palette Painting Challenge

Acrylic painting by Marie Paknejad


 Lately, I have been fixated on the mystery of owls for their captivating eyes, reclusive nature and majestic presence. The fact that they are nightly creatures with shining eyes prompted me to portray them in an environment of extreme contrast. 


These owl painting series are an example of my experience with limited palette of yellow, black and white. Limited palette painting challenge is fun and efficient. One can achieve color harmony without producing mud. The challenge is to achieve desired tonal value, tint and shades using various warm and cold hues of one or two colors; in this case blacks and yellows. Yellow grays to olive green; so, in order to achieve different shades of green, I mixed different yellows with different blacks.


My owl paintings intend to express a silent hypnotic emotion of mystery and serenity to the viewer. The same emotions that I experience by looking at their hypnotic eyes even when they blink or are closed!


Share Your Thoughts!

Leave your questions and comments, and share this post with your friends using social media links. Thanks 

Comments